Back to News

Post Exchange provides more than just good deals

JBLM Exchange generates millions for quality of life programs

The Joint Base Lewis-McChord Exchange presents a check for $4,104,645 to be used for on-base quality of life programs. Photo credit: JBLM Exchange

Recommend Article
Total Recommendations (0)
Clip Article Email Article Print Article Share Article

In 2018, the Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM) Exchange generated more than four million dollars for quality of life programs on JBLM. These programs include child development centers, fitness centers, outdoor recreation programs, and "... other community programs that make life better for those who serve at Joint Base Lewis-McChord ... and strengthen the services' recruiting, retention and readiness efforts," says Mary Frances Roldan, the Administrative Assistant Supervisor to the General Manager of the JBLM Exchange.

Over the past year, the combined Army and Air Force exchange services have contributed more than $200 million to support quality of life services on bases around the globe. In the past 10 years, that amount has exceeded two billion dollars.

"Support of critical quality of life programs is a tangible return on the benefit JBLM soldiers, airmen and their families have earned," says Michael Einer, General Manager of the JBLM Exchange. "The Exchange goes where they go to deliver convenience and savings and invest in each community we are honored to serve."

A full 60 percent of the Exchange's net profits go directly back into the JBLM community, while the remaining 40 percent is used to continually improve the products, services and events that the Exchange and have to offer. One of those services was introduced in 2017 as part of the Exchange's Veterans Day celebration. The Exchange introduced a new program specifically for veterans: the Lifelong Online Military Exchange Benefit which includes tax-free shopping, free shipping when using the Military Star Card, low interest rates and special deals exclusive to the military.

"By shopping the Exchange online," says Roldan, "veterans make life better for those who wear the uniform today while enjoying exclusive military savings and tax-free shopping. Veterans can visit to sign up for their lifelong online benefit."

"Since 1895, the Army and Air Force Exchange Service has gone where soldiers, airmen and their families go to improve the quality of their lives by providing valued goods and services at exclusive military pricing," Roldan continues.

The Exchange, which is the 61st largest retailer in the United States of America, is a non-appropriated fund entity of the Department of Defense (DoD).  It is also a 50th Anniversary Vietnam War Commemorative Partner, "planning and conducting events and activities that recognize the service, valor and sacrifice of Vietnam veterans and their families in conjunction with the United States of America Vietnam War Commemoration," states Roldan.

Readers interested in learning more about The JBLM Exchange can find more information at their website:

Fort Lewis Exchange, 9 a.m. to 9:30 p.m., daily, 5280 Pendleton Ave., Joint Base Lewis-McChord, 253.964.3161

McChord Field Main Exchange, 9 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., daily, 504 McChord Field, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, 253.582.3110

comments powered by Disqus

Site Search